You read that right – 63 different special events and activities at Alberta farms and farmers’ markets in celebration of Alberta Local Food Week.
Here’s a snapshot of what’s happening at our farms and farmers’ markets between August 11 and 18th.
Alberta Farm Events
21 farms are opening their farm gate and inviting Albertans for a visit for Local Food Week. Here’s a quick peek at some fun that’s available:
- Many farms are offering a farm tour with Open Farm Days, giving you the chance to see agriculture and food up close and personal, and behind the scenes. Learn more about Open Farm Days.
- Several farms are hosting long table dinners or culinary and dining events, giving you the chance to eat the food right where it was grown or raised.
- Got kids who are already bored on summer vacation? There are Alberta farms staging special events just for kids, including wagon rides and games.
Get all of the on-farm event details at www.albertafarmfresh.com.
Alberta Farmers’ Market Events
There are 42 farmers’ markets hosting special events and activities to celebrate Alberta Local Food Week:
- Some markets are hosting cooking demonstrations, or will have a chef conducting tours of the market, or customer appreciation meals featuring market products.
- In addition to cooking demos, there are markets holding agriculture and food based demonstrations, explaining honey production, wheat and grain grinding and milling, raising livestock and more.
- You may find cooking contests and cook-off competitions at a local market.
- There will be lots of activities and fun things for kids to celebrate Local Food Week.
Find out if your farmers’ market has activities planned, or try a new market and take in their celebrations, at www.albertafarmersmarket.com.